Thursday, March 12, 2009

Why Sega is My Main Influence


So I've been using Sega as my main influence for the style and attitude of this game, along with how the game plays being based on games I played during my childhood (most specifically, Sonic games, and other Sega platformers like Toe Jam and Earl), so now I decided to tell you all why Sega is my main influence when producing Falling Down.

Growing up I had an older brother (while, yes I still have him, he's not THAT much older these days considering we're both adults) who was always the cool guy. I looked up to him because he had this cool "slacker bro" type attitude, and whenever someone mentioned Nintendo he'd say "GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T!" (he was 7 or 8 when he did this btw, I was like 4 or 5) so like he made it seem like Sega was so much better than Nintendo, even though technically speaking the Super Nintendo was more powerful than the Genesis, the Genesis still had that cool additude going for it. And the 32X didn't help it. As you can tell, we had Sega at our house, not a Nintendo.

The Sega Genesis 32X was an add-on that turned your 16-bit system into a 32-pit powerhouse. PLUS IT HAD "X" IN THE NAME! Nothing was cooler back then than the letter X. Put X in anything and it'll be cool: Mega Man X, X-Men, ...thats about it, but you know what I mean!

I had a 32X and Knuckles Chaotix, and I was one of those kids who never got it to work! I've played Knuckles Chaotix, and that game, though clunky in nature, is one of the inspirations for Falling Down because of how it kept the true-to-it's-roots 2D genesis feel, but threw in some cool graphics here and there.

So yeah, since I had nothing else going on regarding the game, I decided to write about this. WORD UP SPRING BREAK Y'ALL KICKIN IT OLD SCHOOL!

Peace,
-Kail

No comments:

Post a Comment